Sunday, June 20, 2010

A Man Named Bop

When I first met my husband, he told me about 2 things... 1) The St. Lawrence River in upstate New York, and 2) Bop, his grandfather. *not in order of importance* The St. Lawrence River sounded like a beautiful, serene place that I thought to myself, "I hope this guy works out, I'd love to be able to go to THAT place!" Little did I know a year after that I'd be spending a week's vacation every summer in that exact spot! Bop was another story... Kevin told me, "He's 91 and still drives up and down the east coast to visit family and friends, he builds dollhouses,has the latest technology, and does tons of 'projects'; in fact that's who taught me all the handy things I know."  Again, I thought to myself.. "Can this guy be for real? He values his grandfather and HE'S handy!"  Almost 4 years have passed, and I've grown to love Bop as my own 2 grandfathers (RIP).  I enjoy hearing his stories about growing up in the 1900's, living in different places, how to fix things, and most of all, I adore his sense of humor.  To know Bop is to love him! I could go on for days, but I won't, I'll get to my point... So due to some health issues that wouldn't allow his aunt and uncle to spend the summer on the river as they normally do,  I volunteered to drive up there with Bop, so he could still go on his usual summer trip!  I was excited from the day I found out he was excited, the jury is still out on which one of us is more excited!
Bop arrived at our house last Thursday, where we've spent the last 3 days celebrating his 95th birthday and Father's Day.  Tomorrow morning at 6am, we will leave South Carolina and head to Allentown, Pennsylvania where we will visit with 10 of Bop's cousins.  From there, we'll head into Philadelphia for some Philly cheesesteaks and sightseeing on Tuesday.  That's all I know for now.. so check back in a few days to see where we go!

No comments:

Post a Comment