Thursday, June 24, 2010

Jersey, NYC, and Hudson

Where am I? What day is it? What time is it? This is what it feels like when you travel through so  many places and see so many sights in a matter of days.  Getting the life tour of a 95 year old is packed full from early morning to late night.  I haven't stayed up this late, this many days in a row probably since I was in college!  Deep breath... okay, so after leaving Philly, we drove to New Jersey to see where Kevin grew up, and visit some more friends and relatives of Bop!  It wasn't "the Jersey Shore" nor was it "jerseylicious"!  It was like any other small town in America.  Bop gave me the full tour of where he lived in Jersey, where my hubby grew up, went to school, where his daughters got married, and had their receptions.  Then we ended the day by having dinner with another one of Bop's many couins and her husband... it was a Pennsylvania Dutch woman and an Italian man, he wasvery funny!  He was a cross between Larry David and Danny DeVito!
Wednesday was NYC... it was a driving tour since Bop doesn't walk much and I wore him out in Philly. Due to my earlier discomfort with his driving I chose to be the driver and he directed where to go.  It was a great tour, the funniest part of the day was our expensive PitStop!  So my cup of decaf wasn't quite doing it for me that morning, so I decided to stop and get an espresso on our way into the city... then as usual I pounded 2 bottles of water on the road... as we were approaching the Holland Tunnel, I briefly comtemplated pulling over to the LAST gas station to make a pit stop, but it was too difficult to get all the way over to the right (NY drivers are not givng when it comes to squeezing in).  So I figured I could wait... well, after driving around the city for about an hour, I thought we were ready to head out, but Bop was insistent on driving down Broadway... he didn't know they closed it down and we made a few wrong turns. My only option was to pull into a parking garage, ready to pay a hefty fee just to get out and find a bathroom.  It could have been worse, but it was the most expensive pit stop I've ever made... 15 minutes later and $8.00 shorter, RELIEF!
The rest of the day was pretty uneventful... we drove North to Hudson, NY where Bop spent time as a teenager and early gentleman.  We actually stayed at the St. Charles Hotel, which is where Bop used to work in the kitchen! He didn't do the cooking this time though! When I get the time, I will post our self-made video tour of NYC... just the commentary alone is entertaining!

No comments:

Post a Comment